Environmental Impact Assessment (EIA) Study for Greater D18 Development Project
Client : Petronas Carigali Sdn. Bhd.
Location : Bintulu, Sarawak
Start Date (Month/Year)
Completion Date (Month/Year)
Narrative Description of Project :
PETRONAS Carigali Sdn. Bhd. (PCSB) intends to boost Greater D18 fields’ recoverable reserves and hydrocarbon production. The D18 field is located offshore of Bintulu, Sarawak approximately 90km northwest of the Bintulu Crude Oil Terminal (BCOT). The platforms consist of a main process platform (D18MP-A) and two (2) satellite platforms (D18JT-B and D18JT-C).
As part of the Greater D18 development, the production enhancement is envisaged through infill drilling at existing wellheads, as a short term gain. Long term production gains involve water injection into the reservoir along with additional drilling. The Project development shall involve the upgrading work on the existing platforms and establishment of new platforms and facilities.
The EIA is prepared to ensure that all direct and indirect impacts, especially environmental, social and economic associated with the proposed Project are identified and that measures are taken to address them. The EIA report is prepared for the approval of the Department of Environment (DOE).
Description of Actual Services Provided :
A multi-disciplined team of sector-specific specialists gathered data and conducted field studies on all aspects of the physical, biological and social environment, documenting the current situation and highlighting the core environmental issues. Issues that were identified and assessed are as listed below:
- Impacts on Marine Water Quality
- Seabed Sediment Impact
- Noise and Vibration Impact
- Marine Ecology Impacts
- Generation of Wastes and Scheduled Waste Management
- Occupational Health and Safety Aspect
- Impacts from Non-Normal Events
- Project Abandonment and Decommissioning
The collation of all this information then formed the basis for the formulation of the mitigation measures and actions proposed in the Environmental Impact Assessment.
Key Project Elements :
The key project elements included the following :
- Planning, coordinating and carrying out the Environmental Baseline Study (EBS) at the identified sampling points around each platform. A total of thirteen (13) sampling stations were collected for the purpose of marine water, seabed sediment, marine ecology (consist of plankton, macrobenthos and chlorophyll-A) assessment.
- Engagement with the various stakeholders such as Marine Department Sarawak, Malaysian Maritime Enforcement Agency and Persatuan Nelayan Negeri Sarawak (Bintulu Branch). To gather information, report the key findings, and to solicit the input, guidance and views of the stakeholders in regards to the Project development.
- A profile of the existing environmental condition surrounding the Project site. This element focussed on the identification and mapping of the existing environmental conditions in the immediate area, highlighting the bathymetry, oceanography, lithology, meteorology, marine water quality, seabed sediment quality, marine ecology, Environmentally Sensitive Areas (ESA) and the key environmental issues. This included a review of the institutional and legal set-up and identification of the main issues, opportunities and constraints.